Newark- Delaware State Police arrested 27-year-old Cory Crum of Bear on drug and weapon charges following a traffic stop early Saturday evening.
On November 6, 2021, at approximately 7:22 p.m., a trooper on routine patrol on Churchmans Road in the area of Geoffrey Drive observed a silver BMW 325 make an illegal U-turn on Churchmans Road. A traffic stop was initiated and contact was made with the operator and sole occupant, Cory Crum. During contact the trooper observed suspected marijuana in plain sight inside of the vehicle. Subsequently, a probable cause search was conducted and the trooper discovered approximately 2.75 grams of marijuana and a loaded Taurus 9mm handgun with an obliterated serial number. Crum, who is a person prohibited, was taken into custody without incident.
Crum was transported to Troop 6 where he was charged with the following crimes:
- Possession of a Deadly Weapon by Person Prohibit Who Also Possesses a Controlled Substance (Felony)
- Possession of a Deadly Weapon or Ammunition by Person Prohibited (Felony) – 2 counts
- Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon (Felony)
- Possession of a Weapon with a Removed, Obliterated or Altered Serial Number (Felony)
- Possession of Marijuana (Civil)
- Failure to Signal
- Illegal U-Turn
- Failure to Obey Traffic Control Device
Cory Crum was arraigned in the Justice of the Peace Court #11 and committed to Howard R. Young Correctional Institution on $60,400.00 cash bond..