LACEY TOWNSHIP, NJ – Lacey Township Police Department officers and the Lanoka Harbor Fire Department responded to a call of a possible home fire last Monday that turned out to be a smoke condition inside a clogged dryer vent. Luckily, the vent clog did not catch fire.
On Monday, January 11, 2021, at 1:52 p.m., Officer Dan Ricciardella responded to a Laurel Boulevard home after receiving a call for a possible fire. While on the scene, members of the Lanoka Harbor Fire Department discovered that the dryer vent was clogged and caused the smell of fire. No damage was sustained to the home.
The incident is a reminder to residents to make sure their dryer vents are cleaned and free of blockage.
According to FEMA, 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss. Failure to clean the dryer (34 percent) is the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires. More home clothes dryer fires occur in the fall and winter months, peaking in January.
“Clean the lint filter before and after each load of laundry. Don’t forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint can build up. In addition, clean the lint filter with a nylon brush at least every six months or more often if it becomes clogged,” FEMA recommends. “Clean lint out of the vent pipe every three months.Have your dryer cleaned regularly by a professional, especially if it is taking longer than normal for clothes to dry.”