Newark police capture burglar after foot chase

NEWARK, DE –  The Newark Police Department has captured a man wanted for burglarizing cars and homes across the city after a brief chase on foot.

On January 6, 2021, plainclothes Newark Police Officers located Stephen Evans, 26, of Newark, at a business on Kirkwood Highway in Newark.  When confronted, Evans fled from officers on foot.  He was taken into custody after a brief foot chase.

On December 8, 2020, at about 0514 hours, Newark Police officers were dispatched to the area of Chambers Street for a suspicious person checking vehicle door handles. When officers arrived to the area, they observed a black pickup truck pull out of a parking lot. Officers attempted to stop the vehicle but it fled the area. It was later determined that the suspect successfully entered one vehicle and took items from within.

Later that morning, Newark Police officers responded to Choate Street for report of a residential burglary that occurred at about 0400 hours that morning. A resident stated that he was awakened to a subject entering his bedroom. The subject said something to the resident and quickly fled the home. It was later discovered that the subject had stolen a number of electronics and personal items from the residence.

At about 2130 hours that same day, a resident of North Chapel Street contacted Newark Police and reported her bicycle had been stolen from her garage. The resident also discovered damage to a vehicle that occurred during the theft.

Through investigation, it was discovered that the same black pickup truck that had evaded Newark Police officers earlier in the morning on Chambers Street had also been involved in both the Choate Street and North Chapel Street burglaries. Investigators determined, through surveillance video and familiarity with Stephen Evans, that he was the driver of the vehicle.

Evans was transported to Newark Police headquarters where he was charged with offenses for which warrants had previously been issued:

  • Burglary Second Degree
  • Burglary Third Degree
  • Theft Under $1500 (7 counts)
  • Resisting Arrest
  • Criminal Mischief

Evans was also charged with Offensive Touching of a Law Enforcement Officer and Resisting Arrest as a result of his attempt to avoid arrest on January 6, 2021.  No one was injured during the arrest.

Evans appeared before Justice of the Peace Court #2 by video and was ordered to be held in default of $16,000 cash bail plus $1,600 secured bail .  Evans was turned over to the custody of the Howard R. Young Correctional Institution in Wilmington.