NEWARK — Governor Phil Murphy and Lieutenant Governor Sheila Oliver today received the endorsement of the New Jersey Coalition of Latino Pastors and Ministers (NJCLPM), which includes more than 420 faith leaders statewide, representing nearly 47,000 parishioners. The coalition praised Governor Murphy and Lieutenant Governor Oliver’s compassionate policy agenda, which is rooted in fairness and has uplifted New Jersey’s Latino communities and families.
“Over the last four years and under very difficult times due to this unprecedented pandemic, New Jersey has led the way on many fronts,” said Rev. Raul Ruiz, President of the NJCLPM. “This progress could not have been possible if not for the efforts of the Governor Phil Murphy and Lt. Sheila Oliver’s administration. Together they have led an agenda rooted in compassion, fairness and inclusiveness, building opportunities for all New Jersey residents to be part of a bright future.”
“Reelecting Gov. Murphy and Lt. Gov. Oliver means a continued delivery on policies to keep the state moving forward, stronger and fairer,” said Rev. Bolivar Flores Vice President of the NJCLPM. “The successes include: raising the minimum wage, ensuring access to affordable housing, ensuring equal pay for equal work, criminal justice reform, reducing the cost of health care, and having millionaires pay their fair share in taxes.”
The NJCLPM highlighted the following Murphy-Oliver accomplishments:
- Establishing a nation-leading COVID-19 vaccination program, ensuring equitable access for communities of color;
- Protecting residents throughout the pandemic by providing rental assistance, utility assistance, and an eviction moratorium;
- Raising the minimum wage;
- Enacting paid sick and expanding family leave;
- Providing support to minority-owned small businesses and innovative startups to promote good-paying jobs to build New Jersey’s economy;
- Launching a Cover All Kids initiative;
- Lowering health care costs and improving transparency;
- Making higher education more accessible and affordable to all;
- Giving all New Jersey residents the opportunity to obtain driver’s licenses regardless of immigration status; and
- Eliminating disparities in New Jersey’s criminal justice system, among other accomplishments.
“From day one, we’ve worked collaboratively with our communities of faith to further our promise of building a stronger, fairer, and more inclusive New Jersey where everyone belongs and everyone gets an equal shot,” said Governor Murphy. “I’m honored to have earned the endorsement of the New Jersey Coalition of Latino Pastors and Ministers, and share their deep passion for empowering New Jersey’s Latino families and communities to ensure they can live up to their fullest potential.”
“Governor Murphy and I are thrilled to receive the endorsement of the NJCLPM, who’ve been a leading voice for our Latino brothers and sisters across New Jersey,” said Lieutenant Governor Oliver. “Through our partnership and shared commitment, we’ll continue our work to ensure our state is open and accessible to all, and provide opportunities for all our families to live and thrive in the place they call home.”
The post Latino religious coalition backs Phil Murphy for Governor in New Jersey appeared first on Shore News Network.