OAKLAND, CA – The streets of Oakland are getting dangerous if you’re an uber, lyft or delivery driver in the city. The Oakland Police Department has seen a 38% increase in carjacking’s citywide over last year. Many of these incidents appear to be crimes of opportunity and in some cases, the victims are delivery and rideshare drivers.
Police said carjackers are causing minor accidents with those vehicles in an attempt to commit their crimes.
Sometimes the vehicles are used in other crimes like residential robberies and theft of personal belongings. Often, multiple suspects are involved in committing these crimes.
One recent trend we’re seeing is when individuals intentionally crash their vehicles into a victim’s vehicle. When the victim attempts to exchange information, the suspects steal their belongings and vehicle.
Reduce Your Risk:
• If you’re involved in a vehicle accident, pull into a well-lit area like a gas station or a business if possible.
• Do not get out of the vehicle if you do not feel safe.
• Call 911
Additional Safety Tips:
• Park in well-lit and well-traveled areas
• Have your keys accessible before going to your car.
• When approaching or leaving your vehicle, be aware of your surroundings.
• When in your vehicle keep doors locked and windows closed.
• Park as close to your destination as possible.
• Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running.