20-Year-Old Woman Declared Dead, Later Found Alive at Funeral Home, Died This Weekend

SOUTHFIELD, MI –  In August, a 20-year-old woman, Trimesha Beauchamp was pronounced dead by responding emergency medical services personnel and her body was delivered to a funeral home.  Later, that funeral home notified the authorities that Beauchamp was not dead.   Southfield Fire Chief Johnny Menifee confirmed two paramedics and two EMT’s were dispatched to Beauchamp’s home and according to the department, her vital signs were checked by three responding employees before she was declared dead and sent to the funeral home.
Beauchamp was eventually sent to the hospital, an hour after she had been declared dead by SFC medical workers.
“This is the second time our beloved Timesha has been pronounced dead, but this time she isn’t coming back,” they said in a statement. “She died as a result of massive brain damage that was suffered when Southfield paramedics wrongly declared her dead, and failed to provide her much-needed oxygen.”

Her family has since filed a $50,000,000 federal lawsuit against the city of Southfield and the two EMT’s and two paramedics who attended to her and declared her dead. On Sunday, Beauchamp, who has been in critical condition since her August ordeal passed away, her family said.

After the incident, Chief Menifee issued the followeding statement, “A local emergency department physician pronounced the patient deceased based upon medical information provided by the Southfield Fire Department at the scene. After which, the Southfield Police Department contacted the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office to notify them of the findings and the on-duty forensic pathologist released the body to the family. The Southfield Fire and Police Departments followed all appropriate city, county and state protocols and procedures in this case. The City of Southfield is currently conducting a thorough internal investigation in addition to the Oakland County Medical Control Authority (OCMCA) which will be reporting their findings to the State of Michigan Bureau of EMS, Trauma and Preparedness (BETP). In an effort to provide as much transparency as possible, more information will be provided as it is available.”

A few days later, it was announced that the four workers had been suspended with pay and their licenses suspended by the State of Michigan.
“The City of Southfield has received notification that the State of Michigan has suspended the licenses of the two paramedics on the scene at the Timesha Beauchamp medical run while the State investigation continues. The State of Michigan has also served letters of intent to suspend the licenses of the two EMT’s who were also on the scene. All four Southfield firefighters remain on paid administrative leave from the city pending the outcome of this ongoing investigation,” the department said on August 28th.
According to a petition against the city, “On Aug. 23rd around 7am, Southfield Fire Dept and Paramedics were called to her home after her family discovered her having pale lips and experiencing trouble breathing. Paramedics claim that she was not breathing when they arrived. They delivered life saving measures for 30 minutes. A local ER nurse took the reporting from the workers and declared her deceased.”
“Her god mother, a nurse, claimed that Timesha was moving and that she detected a faint pulse after the declaration but crews dismissed her concern and told her it was due to the medicine administered during their attempts at resuscitation. They then called James H. Coles Funeral Home and they performed the pick up,” the petition said. “Around 11am, Coles contacted the family in hysterics letting them know that when the embalmer unzipped the bag, they saw Timesha staring at them while breathing. She had been left in the bag for over three hours.”